Formed in 1998 in North Hollywood, California, Artemis Pet Food Co., Inc. is a company dedicated to “holistic” pet foods. A look at the ingredients list in Artemis Dog Food has good products and in acceptable proportions. They offer several lines of dog foods all being tagged as holistic. The company is still a standalone company and is not owned by anyone else like some of the other premium dog food brands.
I took a look at the large breed puppy dog food because I will be feeding that for the biggest part of this year. Looking at the ingredients list there is a good mix of meat, vegetables and some grains. They use rice, barley and oatmeal as the grain content with no wheat. I wondered about all the terms that I did not know what they were so I did some research to see what was what. Here’s the list. They seem to all be mineral and vitamins of different types.
Artemis looks to be a very good quality premium pet food with proper nutritional value and made of quality ingredients. I particularly like the fact that they are a company that has not been bought out by a larger food and drug producer.
- Chelation is the process that makes minerals absorbed by the body.
- Proteinate – A compound of a protein.
- Sulfates – The product of a process that renders essential minerals absorbed.
- Iron Proteinate – A soluble form of the mineral Iron.
- Zinc Proteinate – A soluble form of the mineral zinc
- Copper Proteinate – A soluble form of the mineral zinc
- Ferrous Sulfate – The mineral iron.
- Zinc Sulfate – zinc
- Copper Sulfate – copper
- Potassium Iodide – A deliverable form of Iodine
- Thiamine Mononitrate – A water soluble for of Thiamine which is a B complex vitamin
- Manganese Proteinate – A soluble form of the mineral Manganese
- Manganous Oxide – A soluble form of the mineral Manganese
- Ascorbic Acid – vitamin c
- Vitamin A Supplement
- Biotin – water soluble B complex vitamin
- Calcium Pantothenate – vitamin B-5
- Manganese Sulfate
- Sodium Selenite
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6)
- Vitamin B12 Supplement
- Riboflavin – vitamin B2
- Vitamin D Supplement
- Folic acid – vitamin B9